England 5-0 Czech Republic, RESULT: Raheem Sterling hat-trick at Wembley hands Three Lions perfect start to Euro 2020 qualifiers
- Raheem Sterling netted hat-trick in big win for England at Wembley
- Harry Kane also on target with penalty kick on cusp of half-time
- Tomas Kalas own goal handed England their fifth goal with six minutes to play
- Eric Dier trudged off injured for the Three Lions in the first half
- England XI: Pickford, Walker, Keane, Maguire, Chilwell, Alli (Rice), Dier (Barkley), Henderson, Sancho, Kane, Sterling (Hudson-Odoi)
- Czech Republic XI: Pavlenka, Kaderabek, Celustka, Kalas, Novak, Soucek, Pavelka, Gebre Selassie, Darida (Masopust), Jankto (Vydra), Schick (Skoda)
- READ: Martin Samuel’s full match report from Wembley Stadium
There are no longer any doubts about Raheem Sterling. No longer any concerns he will not fulfil his potential at international level, no longer any nay-sayers, no longer any lists of alternatives to his selection.
Sterling has been the outstanding performer in the 2018-19 season, and on Friday night confirmed it with his first international hat-trick. He is scoring regularly, for club and country these days, but rarely in threes.
England will be looking to carry over the feel good factor from their successful run in the Nations League when they begin their Euro 2020 qualifiers at home to Czech Republic.
The Three Lions followed up a run to the World Cup semi-finals by reaching the last four of the Nations League in 2018 and head into the new qualifying campaign strong favourites to secure automatic qualification for next summer’s European Championship.
Follow all the action from the 7.45pm GMT kick-off here as it happens.